Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Queen Sized Crazy Quilt: The Backstory

Click here to see hundreds more quilts via the Bloggers Quilt Festival being hosted by Amy at Park City Girl.

I was nineteen years old and visiting a cousin who was a student at the University of Washington. She lived with seven other young women in an enormous U-District house built in the 1800's. The house was spacious and charming and I--coming as I was from an upbringing in a less-than-1000-square foot 1960's rambler--was enchanted, but never so much awestruck as when, for a fleeting moment, I saw a flash of multicolored beauty among the blankets atop my cousin's bed. Hidden in the pile was a crazy quilt and when I glimpsed it I gasped and asked, "what is that?!" She was surprised by my excitement and casually replied that it was a quilt made by our great grandmother, and returned it to its place under the covers.

I never saw the quilt again, but I never forgot that moment of discovery. Making this one has fulfilled a goal that I had not realized I had. I feel very satisfied to have it done. Maybe there will be a great-granddaughter of mine who will be delighted at its discovery. I hope so. In the meantime, it is very practical and warm, and will get much use in this house, for many years to come.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow first quilt love! You did a great job and I'm sure some little girl whether it be family, friend, or neighbor will find yours and be filled with as much awe and wonder!

Anonymous said...

wow - it's amazing..and I can't believe you hand-quilted it. It will definitely be an heirloom for your family! Congrats!

Amber

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful. It's funny how sometimes we don't know we want something until we have it :)

Jocelyn said...

Wow what a really neat quilt. And to be inspired all those years ago. It will certainly be a family heirloom one day.

Allie said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I'm sure it will be well loved.

Heather said...

Love the picture! Great idea.

Donnell Allan said...

Thank you to each of you for your kind comments. The quilting community is truly a lovely one.

Unknown said...

I can imagine that quilt your cousin had - it must have been amazing to stick with you! Your quilt is a treasure :) Thanks for sharing!

stitchinpenny said...

What a great inspiiration for your beautiful quilt.

Nat Palaskas said...

Great quilt and the story to go with it. Beautiful quilt for the festival. Thanks for sharing - notjustnat

Allie said...

Oh I love your story and your quilt - so beautiful and colorful! What a treasure you have created. This is just amazing.

Emily A. said...

I see you chose Kates artistic bridge shot. Excellent. Well done on the quilt. I am sure your granddaughters will be fighting over it some day...if not your daughters... :)